Modest Needs and My New Scooter

I picked up my new scooter today. Wow. I can't believe that I got it. The camera broke or I'd show you the pix we took when I picked it up from Scooterville.

Here's the history of how I got it:

Last year (2008), my friend Kell told me about this website called Modest Needs that gave small grants to people who needed a helping hand to keep them from falling into poverty. At the time, our Sonata had broke down and need an engine rehaul. Unfortunately, the repair had to be done by a business (not a shadetree mechanic) and I couldn't find a quote for less than $2200. The most I could expect from Modest Needs was $1,000 and they would not let it be a down payment. So I wasn't able to get the grant.

But I remember Kell telling me that one of the ways they helped people was the acquisition of assistive devices like scooters and wheelchairs. So as I started having more and more mobility problems this year, I started thinking I would like a scooter and maybe Modest Needs could help.

The straw the broke the proverbial was when I got my RE license in August. I've tried showing places a couple of times to clients and just exhausted when I got finished. I knew that there was no way to work the two careers without some help.

I found a refurbished chair in early November from Scooterville and sent in the paperwork and waited.

The way Modest Needs works now (it changed a little from last year) is they review your documentation and once approved post your request for donors to review and give small amounts of money towards. If the total of donations reach what you need before 60 days are up, you get a check made out to the business or service that you need paid.

Many of the people on there are looking for more mundane things that a scooter, such as help with rent payments or utility payments.

I am grateful that my request funded in about 27 days.

I plan to pay it forward with my real estate commissions -- 2% of what I make in 2010 will be donated to Modest Needs.

ModestNeeds.Org - Small Change. A World Of Difference.

0 comments:

    Help Us Make Room

    Help Us Make Room
    ***** Email Pattie ***** User-Friendly Housing (click on image to email)

    Mission Statement

    We are devoted to promoting affordable, accessible housing in Las Vegas that meets the particular needs of tenants, owners and investors with diligence, sensitivity and integrity.


    We are devoted to promoting universal accessibility in the Las Vegas so that people will be welcomed as residents and visitors no matter what their background, age, ability or size and to advocate for those who are excluded intentionally or otherwise.


    We are devoted to showing Las Vegas that welcoming all persons is in tune with the spirit of accommodations and is a sound way to expand the local market by creating a loyal client base that will increase long-term sales and profits. Accommodating diversity is good business.


    We are devoted to promoting global good will by promoting the free movement of all people. Las Vegas is America's playground and, maybe even, the world's playground. We are devoted to make Las Vegas a showplace of universal design, accessibility, and inclusion. Las Vegas is a place built on the concept of freedom and freedom of movement is one of the ultimate freedoms. We can think of no better place on earth to promote inclusion than our beautiful city. We hope you will join us in making Las Vegas a place for everyone.

    Find Me on Facebook